Recently, we've been made aware that individuals representing themselves as being "from the chamber" are approaching local businesses to obtain financial data from our members. Because local chambers of commerce are regarded among the most trustworthy institutions in any community, sadly we sometimes see others attempt to use our integrity for their own gain. We advise all area businesses to use caution when sharing their business records, and always be vigilant of potential fraud. Also note the following about how the Wilson Chamber of Commerce conducts its business:
- We will NEVER ask you to provide historical financial and transactional information of your own business practices.
- We will NEVER ask you to provide payment for anything other than membership dues and previously agreed upon transactions with the Chamber. The Chamber will have a record of those transactions.
- The Chamber RARELY contracts with vendors to perform program functions on our behalf. When we do, we will notify all of our members in writing.
- Only Chamber STAFF has the authorization to engage in written or verbal contracts on behalf of the Chamber.
- Local chambers of commerce (inlcuding the Wilson Chamber) are independently governed organizations. We are not agents, branches, or subsidiaries of any other chamber, including the North Carolina and United States Chambers of Commerce.
We encourage our members, Ambassadors, and Board of Directors to promote their membership and affiliation with the Chamber. However, official Chamber activities only happen with authorization from the President of the Wilson Chamber of Commerce. If you believe someone is misrepresenting themselves as an agent of the Wilson Chamber of Commerce, please call us at 252-237-0165. If you believe that you or your business is a victim of fraud, please contact local law enforcement.
The Wilson Chamber stands by its core values: service, tradition, leadership, innovation, trust, and loyalty.